Like my blogger friend Jen, Andy and I are doing Weight Watchers, which is actually a sensible eating plan despite my whining above, and like Jen we are incorporating exercise into our routine to help us feel energetic and fit. Instead of guiltily averting my eyes from the exercise equipment at the gym while I usher Alton into the family pool, I have been lacing up my sneakers and hitting the machines or one of the many classes our athletic club offers. After hearing good things about a salsa-dance-based exercise class called Zumba, I decided to show up on a Monday afternoon and boogie myself sweaty. Well, it kicked my ass. After 45 minutes of stepping, swiveling, kicking, jumping, shimmying, and sashaying, I had to starting modifying the routines that our instructor was demonstrating because I feared that I would misstep and sprain an ankle! My limbs Jello-fied, I headed home and stumbled around the kitchen like a klutz trying to make dinner while Alton begged Andy to read book after book. I was all thumbs and after I cut my finger trying to slice a tomato, Andy took over the cutting board and gently suggested that I go sit down while he finished things up.
I passed out exhausted in bed that night, but was surprised that I wasn't too sore when I woke up the next morning. Two days after my Zumba class, I worked out again, then again two days after that, and slowly but surely I can feel the exercise getting easier! I went to Zumba again a week after my original class and was surprised that afterward I was tired and sweaty, but not the gooey mess I was the last time. Hooray for muscles!
I was also trying to keep up the workout regimen in anticipation of Mother's Day. I knew that Andy had some meals out up his sleeve, and I was surprised on Saturday night when we went out to one of my favorite restaurants in the area, an Italian place called Mingo West. We wined and dined (the restaurant has one open-air side that overlooks a station for our Max light rail train--Alton was in heaven throughout the meal) and amazingly, after two weeks of clean livin' Andy and I were unable to finish our desserts. What?! We were weighed down with delicious but rich food and it was a good thing that we didn't have a big Mother's Day breakfast planned, because water and coffee was about all we could manage in our poor overloaded systems (we were still able to go out again to dinner again that night, however). But we loved our celebratory weekend and I felt very pampered and showered with lovely gifts from my two great guys.
(Alton and me at dinner on Mother's Day--picture with Andy's camera phone.)

We also got a little bit of outdoor work done that weekend, in preparation for our major yard overhaul! Expect more to come about this in the future. Until then, I am your lazy blogger and vow to take more pictures (or at least ask Andy to do it) and share them with you. Off to go enjoy gorgeous sunny weather!
2 comments:
Love the photo. He looks like a little mini-you. Glad to hear you guys are making the commitment to slim down! way to go!
Hey Katie, wow, I feel so famous for making your blog:-) Great job getting to the gym and going to WW. It's awesome you and Andy are doing it together. I admire you for doing Zumba, I'm all thumbs when it comes to classes like that and feel so uncoordinated. I'm better off sticking to the elliptical and the bike, but Zumba must be an awesome workout! I want to see pix of that:-)
Post a Comment