Friday, September 18, 2009

The Old Town

People often ask us where we got the name "Alton" for our beloved baby. There isn't a specific reason we can point to, and it's not a family name, it's just one that happened to hit that sweet spot of liked the name, not too common, went well with our last name, gave son the same initials as Daddy, etc. It has Anglo roots and means "of the old town." Al-ton, old town, got it.
So I guess it should come as no surprise that Alton is the name of many old towns across the world! There are a good handful in the U.S., in states like Kansas, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Texas, and more, and on their recent trip to Canada one was spotted by Zach, Karen and Cousin *P! Shown here!

Even cooler, I discovered recently that in the UK (land of the Anglo names) there is a resort/theme park called Alton Towers! A Six Flags for across the pond. I scoured their website and the sites of any Alton cities that I've found, but so far I haven't discovered any apparel that says "Alton, TX Population: 354" or anything like that. I guess there isn't much demand for small-town t-shirt Alton e-commerce. So if you see an official Alton t-shirt anywhere or you are heading to England for Alton Towers, please hook us up!

2 comments:

Cari said...

In Santa Ana this weekend, we drove past an Alton Street and I wanted to stop and take a picture. I started freaking out before I told the girls why. Ha ha.

Cari said...

I would also like to draw your attention to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_i_0?rh=i%3Aapparel%2Ck%3Aalton+t+shirt&keywords=alton+t+shirt&ie=UTF8&qid=1253467112

Andy: number 16. Do it.