Friday, March 26, 2010

Good Friday (200th Post!)

Okay, so I know it's not Good Friday for another week, but Alton was sure doing his part in keeping a vigil this morning: for the garbage trucks, that is. As soon as he can hear them, several houses away, he excitedly tells me, "Garbage trucks! Hurry! Fast!" and we skedaddle as quickly as possible to the front door in hopes of seeing the garbagemen pick up the trash at our house and, if possible, the neighbor's houses as well. This morning was one of the biweekly "two-fers," where not only do we see them pick up the garbage, they also pick up the recycling. Alton waited at the front door so long he needed companions.



And in keeping with our Friday Lenten observances, we do not eat meat the whole day. With Easter just around the corner, doing the same-old Costco cheese pizza for dinner was starting to sound pretty lackluster. I was inspired by a summertime Martha Stewart appetizer recipe for grilled fontina pizza with arugula. I think we can go ahead and make that serve two people (well, two-and-a-half) instead of four. Pizza dough procured, smoked fontina instead of regular, and a handful of pinenuts and mozzarella chunks (leftover from yesterday, yup) just to enrich it a little more, and we had our dinner! On and off rain and sun all day gave way to a lovely evening with clear blue skies, perfect for grilling the pizza and then running inside to wolf it down.


Special Note: This is the 200th post that we have published since we started this blog two years ago. Time flies! Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Comment #1: Love the artistic black and white with Winnie the Pooh...very zen and very hip.

Comment #2: I don't know how to respond to the pizza...it looked delicious, too delicious, but I consoled myself by thinking I would have had red wine instead....then I realized, silly Julie, get out there and cook something up!

mamateapot said...

It looks like Alton branched out with his pals and included the little puppy along with the Poohs. Did you get to see the garbage trucks, I'm dying of suspense.