Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A New Project

As Andy mentioned in his post above, this winter I am going to begin volunteering for a local nonprofit organization: the Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon. Among other things, the group provides free breastfeeding support over the phone from nursing mothers like myself. I am currently attending training sessions that cover things like telephone counseling techniques, common questions and concerns, and when to refer a mother to a lactation consultant or healthcare professional. It's a cause that is near and dear to my heart since I have been nursing Alton since his birth, and I am eager to help other new moms with their breastfeeding relationships with their babies. Breastmilk is the most nutritionally ideal food for newborn babies, and I think that all moms who want to breastfeed need and deserve the support from their friends, family and the community to make that happen. The Nursing Mothers Counsel of Oregon allows me to be part of that community support system for new breastfeeding families in addition to volunteering locally and giving back to Oregon. I feel very lucky to have had support all through Alton's life as I breastfed him from my loving husband Andy, our parents, our families and our friends. Check out the international symbol for breastfeeding! Off to go add that to my Facebook profile....

No comments: