My Dearest Alton,
Now you are one year old, and to look at you or think of you makes me well up with pride and tears of happiness. I have watched you every day grow into an amazing person with a personality all your own. You are bright and expressive, you are quick to smile and to kiss, affectionate and talkative, active and a problem-solver like your daddy. You are cuter by the millisecond. I hold you in my arms and watch you sleep, with your beautiful, perfect lips pursed together and your transparent eyelashes resting lightly on your cheeks, and I wish that I could write poetry. I rocked you to sleep tonight in your warm, dark bedroom--nursing you, nourishing you as I have every day since you were born--and I am so grateful for these private, quiet moments with you. You rest your proprietary hand on me and make soft sleepy sounds, so different from the hungry puppy grunts when you were a newborn, opening your wide mouth like a baby bird.
You are growing up so fast, but you will always be our little baby. I think often of the John Lennon song "Beautiful Boy."
Before you cross the street
Take my hand
Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful Boy
Happy birthday, Beautiful Boy.
1 comment:
What a beautiful letter, Sissy. Alton is a wonderful boy and you know I love him very much.
Happy, Happy First Birthday to My Beloved Nephew and Godson!
Post a Comment