Basket hidden in the office.
Grandpa is already busting open the candy that he and Grammy brought.
Oh my...shiny!
Now it's time to find some eggs.
The first one.
Yellow egg.
Oh wait, there are more! A blue egg hides on his balance bike.
He runs to put it in his basket.
Looks like Minerva laid an egg.
So did horsie.
Some pink eggs hide underneath a stepstool.
Caught 'em!
He shakes them happily.
Pooh Bear also has some chicken qualities.
The collection in total.
Alton's "Easter bunny" is both plush and functional...a Boo-Boo Bunny! It's a little plastic ice cube snuggled inside a bunny body. Stick it in the freezer and Boo-Boo Bunny can soothe away any owie.
BBB is ready for his close-up.
Time to take inventory of the candy in the eggs.
Let's break these babies open!
Meanwhile, the REAL eggs were tucked inside of the Easter bread, or as the recipe calls it: Ciambella Siciliana Pasquale. This is a traditional Sicilian Easter ring, a faintly sweet, yeasty bread that you braid and tuck hard-boiled eggs into the braided kinks before baking. The eggs are typically dyed a rose color, but because of Alton's exuberant egg-smashing, I had to take whatever non-crushed eggs were available for the bread, no matter the color. In the past my mom has often made the bread as a straight, fat braid, similar in shape to a Jewish Challah, and this year for the first time I decided to try a round ring shape instead. It involved some dough-wrestling, but I managed to connect the ends, apply the egg wash and bake. Voila! Gorgeous and delicious, too. Two days after Easter, it's gone!
4 comments:
Who says rose colored eggs only? I say, let them be all colors! I like the building excitement, the thrill of the hunt, that is all over little man's face. As for BBB..may it be a prosperous relationship for everyone.
The Easter bread looks fantastic! I really liked the way you got it into a circle shape. I, too, used different colored eggs this year because I had some brown eggs and they looked beautiful in teal and an Indian orange color. Great job!
It is so fun to see Alton so excited!
Your bread is beautiful. Luckily we enjoyed your Mom's while at Cari's for brunch. Cari's french toast was fabulous!
Aren't our cultural traditions just great! Looks like a good time was had by all. Glad to see Andy's mom looking well.
BBB is a great idea.
Mmmmm! homemade bread! what a treat.
Post a Comment