Sunday, April 25, 2010

Safety First

Only five days left in April and I can't keep up with my posts! Too many pictures to choose from; we have been doing so much. This past weekend was mostly sunny, so Andy was working hard on a project for one of the side yards of our house (post about that to come) and Alton and I kept him company outside sometimes. I already mentioned that we brought out Alton's water table, a favorite toy from last summer, and so often when we are outside most of his time is spent transferring water from one receptacle to another, or just plain dumping it all over the patio. We also have a few plants on the patio right now, just tender little sprouts in pots, so I have to make sure I'm paying attention to how much Alton is drowning, er, watering the plants!
Today while the water table fun was going on, Andy was using a very loud power saw a dozen or so feet away in the backyard. Andy is extremely vigilant when it comes to tool safety, and in addition to donning hearing and eye protection, he was not only turning the saw off when he finished each cut, but also unplugging its plug from the extension cord when he was not actively using it, even if he was alone in the backyard. But while Alton and I were nearby, we wanted to make sure that our eardrums remained safe from the high-decibel whine of the saw, so we rooted around until we found earplugs for Andy and me, and earmuffs for Alton.

Eye protection is important too!

Big 'muffs, little head.

Scooping up water with a cup he commandeered from Daddy.

Giving me a
look as he skulks off to water the flowers...again.

The future engineer surveys the saw work; a good Cal Maritime Keelhauler knows to put safety first!

You know what Minerva was doing all day--do I even have to show you?

3 comments:

mamateapot said...

How nice that he has a CalMaritime shirt to wear! Do you have one in every size? Keep your fingers crossed for those nice pots of flowers. I'm hoping to see them in June.

Julie said...

I was thinking about potential handles for Alton to go with his new and very fierce look ...something from Top Gun? Can we call him "Ice Man" maybe? He was playing with that wooden airplane after all.

Cari said...

The face where he is giving you the "look" is the best photo ever